Wednesday 25 April 2012

Meeting the experienced...

One of the most important factors I have found within law, is to have valuable contacts and networks. These contacts can provide advice and support and help to widen your existing networks. Using your networks effectively can put you miles ahead of anyone without them.

Today, I met with an old family friend who had 50 years experience within legal practice. I wanted to meet up to be able to have a personal, down to earth conversation about the reality of life within legal practice. This is exactly what he gave me.

He talked about how he has dealt with difficult cases, which can often be very harrowing on your personal life. We chatted about the differences of locations, firms and sectors. And most importantly the value of working with all types of people as a team in a wide community.

I found this meeting so helpful! It was wonderful to have an honest point of view from an experienced practitioner without professional or promotional barriers between us. It helped to confirm my views of the legal practice and build my confidence in myself that I was on the right path and going the right way about it.

I'd recommend an opportunity like this to everyone. You can ask any questions you like and respond just as freely and openly as you like, which you may not be able to do in work placement. It provides a real chance to understand the nitty gritty bits of your future profession which you may not have learnt until much later. It's a great preparation technique for reality.

If you don't know anybody personally, either link up with somebody in the profession on twitter or through small local firms. You'd be surprised how willing and supportive so many people are. Their career is important to them and they will be flattered you felt you could ask them. Although don't expect everything, they do have to keep some degree of professionalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment