Saturday 12 May 2012

Take everything you're given...

Recently I applied to become a student ambassador at my university. I was successful for the initial stage of applications and asked to attend a selection event.

The event was two hours and split around fifty of us into ten small groups. Within these groups we carried out three consecutive activities such as, presentation planning and dealing with theoretical situations.

For each group a judicator was placed on the table, marking each person individually. We were marked on team working skills, confidence, presentation, communication and time management.

Personally, I felt the selection event went really well. It was highly competitive and I felt I had done the best I could at the time. I was confident I had been successful.

Unfortunately I had been too optimistic. I didn't get through!

I've watched many of my friends be knocked back by experiences like this and turn their back on their goal, giving up. Although, initially I was of course upset, I took this as a positive experience.

It is so important to take everything as a learning experience, whether positive or bad. Learn how to improve and do better next time, consider what your strengths and weaknesses are. Sometimes it also highlights how you may not have been entirely suitable to the role you were applying for, emphasising how you need to find a different role more suitable and tailored for you.

Although I felt I had done the best I could, I know I can always do better. I will attend the feedback session with the intention to learn and improve.

Most importantly, I know I have the ability to deal with disappointment and rejection. Which i am sure is going to be extremely beneficial in the future when applying to training contracts and firms!

So always remember, everything has a silver lining!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Becci, this is just another step on your personal development journey. I hope you were able to get some feedback.

    ReplyDelete