Thursday 31 May 2012

What's important to you?

As I have already mentioned I am currently at the stage of choosing which college I want to go to, in order to do my GDL. I have already posted about my thoughts on Birmingham College of Law and since then have visited both the Bloomsbury and Guilford branches.

For reasons which I am sure differ to those of others, I am head over heels in love with Guilford!!

Whilst I have been making a decision based on where I am going to live and who I am going to be connecting with (concerning colleges). It got me thinking about the wider question - what is important to me that I get from doing law? And therefore answering why do I want to do law?

1.People.
People are the biggest decider for me. It's important that I will get along with who I study or even work with. It's important to me, that I can be with diverse, open minded people. It is always very easy to pick up where like minded people are based in colleges, work places and I am sure I will experience similar feelings when visiting potential firms. Of course my love for working with people fits neatly into the role of being a solicitor as I will be able to interact with my colleagues and also my potential clients!

2.Teamwork.
The best memory I took away with me from my experience in DFA law was the teamwork. I am a strong believer in the importance of an effective community, just as I am a believer in the importance of a good team. I have chosen to follow the solicitor route because of this. I want to be in a firm that works well as a team, being able to develop and help each other.

3.Continuing to learn and gain experience.
The best moments in life are when you learn something new, or gain a new experience. And I know I will be able to attain this through a career in law, through the diversity of people, cases and colleagues I will come across. I know that they will all provide me with new learning curves and experiences I would never have had the opportunity to come across anywhere else.

4.Expressing my skill set.
Whilst I have always prided myself on my people skills, I believe I hold many other qualities relevant to a career in law. I enjoy analytical jobs, not only analysing data and information but people too. I am good at taking my analysis and presenting it to persuade, reassure and inform. In fact I would value this as my most proficient skill and believe it to be entirely applicable to a career in law.

I am certainly aware I need to explore these ideas further and develop them with more clarity. However it is always important to ask yourself these questions, double checking your still heading down the right path for the right reasons. And of course you will be able to answer the age old question that everybody wants to ask - why do you want to do law?

No comments:

Post a Comment